Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Wildlife Photography | White-Handed Gibbons at the Henry Doorly Zoo, Omaha


I have always been fascinated by the ability of a photograph to document an interaction and to express emotions that are innately human. Love, compassion, playfulness - these are all things that I try to capture with my clients on their wedding day, but they are also something that are recognizable even in other species. When I was a child, zoos were just smelly places that we were forced to go to once a year, either on a school-sponsored field trip or by a family member who thought that the zoo would be a great day-long activity to keep us busy. I remember only wanting to see the crocs or the tigers, and once I had seen that, I was ready for lunch. Back then, the zoo was simply an exhibit, a showcase of prized or rare animals to 'Ooo' or 'Aahhh' at, but nothing more. 

I remember hearing the Animal Planet's phrase not too long ago and it made me really think twice about my experiences at the zoo. 

"Surprisingly Human".

Well that's something new. The thought that animals could be like us, or rather, that we could be like them, was mind-blowing, and no other example rang more clearly than with the White-Handed Gibbons. I can sit for hours on end (which I do) watching the twins playing on the branches or admiring the care taken by a mother as she grooms her child. Many people may look at this and not give a second thought to what they're witnessing, but these very actions are the exact things that parents, lovers or friends share on a daily basis. I can't tell you the number of times my mom has wiped the food off of my face or the fun I've had wrestling around with my friends. We are animals, and because of that, many of our actions, although slightly different in appearance, are very much similar in nature. 

The gallery below consist of images taken a few years ago when the twins were born as well as images taken this past week - it's crazy to see how much they've grown! I wanted to emphasize the photojournalistic-element of these images, so I hope you like the black and white. 











Photographer: Ryan Yamada, Omaha Wedding Photographer
Location: Henry Doorly Zoo - Omaha, Nebraska

No comments:

Post a Comment