Wednesday, January 16, 2013

One Foot in the Sand



(Above) Morning Stroll - Although I've probably shot thousands of pictures over the past four years here at Sandys, none of them captivate me quite as much as this one does.


Over this Christmas break, I've reflected over the idea that I probably won't be home again for a very long time. Being a typical college student, I've always been spoiled with the idea of being able to come back home after finals and spending time with family and friends. Summer and Winter vacation have always been times designated for surfing, lounging around on the beach, and living for the moment. My lifestyle (or life choice, as my parents prefer to call it), has been enjoying nature and everything that comes with it.

As with any monumental step forward, things must be sacrificed to move towards a greater or higher goal. At 22, I've reached a rung in my life ladder that requires me to let go of the things I have dearly held on to - Temporarily.

It is never possible for one to completely separate heart from home, just as it is not possible to take out every fine grain of sand from your ear after a good beat down in the shore break.

Knowing that this might be my last time home in awhile, I focused my energies towards certain images that really represent home as I remember it and the people who have made it special.



- Waialua -

This view came by accident when my mom and I accidentally drove down the wrong road in our attempt to find the sunflower fields. Everyone has sunflower fields on Facebook, but not many people have seen a view like this. Although it had been raining for the whole week, it was a gift from God that I was able to capture this shot.


- Makapu'u -

Had it not been for Natalie Fujii, I probably wouldn't have recreated this shot. Natalie had asked for this picture in print, and to my surprise, the original panorama had been corrupted! Although I had to wait all break to find a clear day to recreate this shot, it was totally worth it. The sets at Maks were coming in a 6-8 Hawaiian this day (12-16ft faces), so scaling the cliff above the lookout seemed like a much safer alternative.


 - The Morning Crew - 

Although many are missing from this picture (Uncle Harv, Siate, Arlo, Stanford, Chucky, Rex and Mike, RIP Uncle Lance and Uncle Otto), I felt the need to take a picture of our morning crew. Throughout the years, many laughs, stories, and waves have been shared and they have taught me everything from how to re-set my line after throwing a spin on the wave to strategies for approaching the New York Times crossword puzzle. Those sunny mornings that all of us were together were truly moments to live for.


(Above) - Uncle Greg and Uncle Roy (aka 'Hot Dog') taking their morning stroll.


- Ohana -

As Stitch said, 'Ohana means Family...' and undeniably, I've been blessed with a great extended family. (Above) Uncle Clay and I have been great friends going back to when I was a scrawny body-boarder in 7th grade, just starting to test the waters on the East side. On those hot, sunny afternoons after the beach, I would slurp icees at Doe Fang's (now HOPA) and listen to Uncle's stories and lessons. Jumping forward almost ten years, Uncle Clay now runs the best shave ice store on the whole island with the most delicious natural, delicious flavors imaginable (the guava is sooooo ono!). But no matter how busy he gets, he still takes the time to greet every customer at the door. Pure Aloha runs deep.


We may not be related by blood, which is good, because she often refers to me as her 'boyfriend'. Obaachan (Grandmother in Japanese), is one of the most special people that I've been blessed with throughout my lifetime. She is the most charismatic and energetic 95-year olds, and she won't hesitate to tell you that although she has three speeding tickets, she'd really like to borrow your car. Our sushi-dates and hamburger outings have always made my days.


Although leaving home is never easy, it's nice to know that I was able to take a small piece of it with me for my travels. Photography is my way of sharing, documenting and reliving - story-telling, as some prefer.

No comments:

Post a Comment